Posted Date: 03/31/2020
Good Evening Lion Country,
In an abundance of caution and in compliance with President Trump’s social guidelines, Livingston ISD will postpone the opening of district facilities until May 4th. The district will operate in a non-traditional manner by continuing to feed our students and providing instructional support. Please know that the district stance is that we are not homeschooling or distance learning, but rather we are making the best efforts we can to continue to serve the needs of our students with what we have. Phase 2 beginning April 6th, will start a more digital approach across our grades and will require the teamwork of all involved to ensure our students’ success. Our staff is going to great effort to ensure that lessons are reasonable yet effective as they are working hard to rethink what students need to be successful with the mastery of the standards.
Please know that we do not take this matter lightly both with the health and safety of our students and staff nor the opportunities that our students miss out on. We miss having our students in the building and watching the success they attain. I heard one educator quote that 50% of the educational process is co-curricular and extracurricular experiences which amount to 90% of our memories. In honor of our students, I have directed that the Cochran Complex lights be turned on each weeknight from 8:00-9:00 pm. Several other school districts across the state are doing this to show how much our students are missed on campus.
LISD FREE MEALS
I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to our faculty and staff for the phenomenal job that they are doing during this crisis. Across the district I see teamwork going on to ensure that our students receive the services needed. This past week 7762 meals were served for our students by our Child Nutrition Department in efforts with our Transportation Department and Technology Department staff. I invite all students to take advantage of this service each day regardless of economic status. In LISD we feed all students! I think you will find these meals exceptional as they are not what some would term sack lunches.
1. Ace Community Park - 3109 FM 2610, Livingston
2. Holiday Lakes Boat Ramp - Bus Stop
3. Providence Baptist Church - 898 Providence Rd, Livingston
4. Soda Baptist Church - 8135 US 190 East, Livingston
5. Scenic Loop Fire Dept. - 1406 FM 3277, Livingston
6. Blanchard Baptist Church - 2450 FM 2457, Livingston
7. Bethel Baptist Church - 8815 FM 350 N, Livingston
8. Trinity River Authority Parking Lot - 5170 FM 1988, Livingston
9. Schwab City Baptist Church - 10998 Hwy 146, Livingston
10. Indian Springs Community Center - 266 Pichetto Trail, Livingston
11. Beacon Bay Baptist Church - 7249 FM 3126, Livingston
12. Cedar Grove Elementary - 819 West Church
13. Creekside Elementary - #1 Lions Avenue
14. Livingston High School - 400 FM 350 South
CHROMEBOOKS & LIONS WIFI
LISD Chromebooks will automatically connect to Lions WiFi hotspots without a password in the following locations. LivCom (Parking lot behind the building), Livingston High School student parking lot, Matthews Street Park, Trinity River Authority Parking Lot.
WiFi service will be available in all 11 rural lunch delivery locations by April 6. If an installation is not possible in these locations the district will send a bus equipped with WiFi during the lunch delivery times. Please check the district website for updates on Lions WiFi.
PREVENTION OF COVID-19
We are all making huge sacrifices to slow the spread of the virus. The district encourages you to follow CDC recommendations with actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including the following:- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Dr. Brent Hawkins